mandag 3. november 2014

A makeover of my mysterious antique sideboard + getting to know Miss Mustard Seed milkpaint




Here it is guyes! At least part of it. I spent most of my weekend (in parts) painting and sanding this beauty. I painted with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. This was my very first time using milkpaint, and I actually found an online shop here in Scandinavia who sells MMSMP, its called Skattkammaren.

The how-to for milkpaint  is not so very different from the chalkpaint, wich I have used several times. And I was aware of that MP is a very unpredictable product when it comes to behavior. I was hoping for a little chipping of the paint, but that did not happen. I even tried a few tricks I had read about, like using a hair dryer on the wet paint right after aplying it, and even paint on a second coat before the first has dried. But no.... I guess the surface was to saturated and "dry". The sideboard is most likely over a 100 years old, and it has not been sealed or treated with any thing for a looooong time. It simply had dried in. Oh, well. On to the sanding then, my favourit part! The details on the mirror are just lovely! And I feel I got to put them in their right element with this color, plus the sanding and distressing helps to bring it out.

I had another issue with this piece, and that was the marble top with the big hole in it for the sink. You can see pictures of it here, before I started painting it.
Obviously, I am not using it as a bathroom furniture, så I (aka my husband) had to build a new one. I had the plans ready in my head long time ago, but you see, we dont saddle the horse and ride the same day.
After finally buying the material for the new top, we buit it yesterday. And it was a perfect fit! I am so happy with the results!



We screwed on three bearers under the boards, to hold them stable, and the desk fitted right in. 
No it wont budge!






I actually read that  milkpaint is the perfect paint for raw wood! Did you know that?? It works as a stain, and sucks right in to the wood, fast! It is brilliant. Then it is all up to you how thick or opaque you want the stain to be. I actually mixed it out quite thin, but applied 3-4 coats. And then I sealed it with clear wax.
I havent gotten to distress the bottom om the sideboard yet. Its like I am postponing the process so that it wont finish to fast. It is so much fun, and I want it to last! But of course, I want a beautyful finished furniture to shine in my diningroom, too.
I was actually a little sad when I spent the very last grains of milkpaint, thinking this is it. Now its empty...  I know, I`m weird....

Now, I have big plans for the bottom part and the doors! It involves a jigsaw and chicken wire.
Woohooo! I am so exited! Please stay tuned for part two of this amazing (I think so...) reviel of the makeover of my mysterious antique sideboard.

Have a good day everyone:)



(You can read about this post over at Songbirds  Inspiration Party and at the "Youre time to shine"-party

14 kommentarer:

  1. Hello Tone! What a lovely piece! You did a fantastic job with the milk paint! It is gorgeous! Your husband is good at his craft, too! It will be absolutely lovely when you finish! Thanks for sharing with us today! Blessings from Bama!

    SvarSlett
  2. Thank you Felicia! That is very nice of you:) Thanks for reading:)

    SvarSlett
  3. Gorgeous piece and I love the color. Can't wait to see it all done!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks Darrielle! I am getting there;)

      Slett
  4. What a gorgeous piece! You are doing a fabulous job here.Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
    Tania at FARRAGOZ ~ Online Course in The Art of Patina

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Tania for youre nice comment;)

      Slett
  5. This is going to be spectacular !!!
    Can't wait to see this finished !
    xxx

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks Suzan! I think so to! Haha.... Now I am so close to finnish up. Hopefully this weekend. And I really think it is going to be amazing:)

      Slett
  6. Hi Tone, thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I've had a quick look at your blog and you do fabulous work. I will be back for a better look for sure. This piece is so gorgeous!
    MacGIRLver

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi Faye! Thanks for stopping by! You know, when I read about you on youre blog, were you said that you have a desk job (as do I) and that youre head would explode if it didnt have some kind of outlet, I had to laugh, because that is exactly how I feel! I have two kids and a fulltime job, but still my brain is bursting with all these crazy ideas! It is so good to have somewere to let it out:)

      Slett
  7. Glad you got to try out MMS milk paint. It is fun to work with isn't it.
    Thank you for linking up to the VIP party. I am sure you will show us the final after picture too.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks Marianne for taking the time to sy hi! I really apreciate it:) I almost cant wait to show the end result!

      Slett

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are all very apreciated!